Slovar (Russian for ‘dictionary’) is an application for viewing and editing dictionaries that runs in your web browser. It is mainly intended for translators and scientists who wish to keep wordlists on specialized subjects but can be used to build general-purpose dictionaries as well. As Slovar doesn’t need a database, it is very easy to install and run both on a local computer and as a website to share your dictionaries with others.
- Entries can include a clarification of meaning, several commented translation variants, examples, additional comments on usage and cross-references.
- You can use tags to organise entries with regard to subjects, topics or parts of speech.
- Search-as-you-type in keywords, translations, examples or comments plus a variety of additional filters to refine your search.
- You can use special entries called rules to include entry-independent linguistic or technical information.
- Dictionaries can be saved, opened and exchanged as text files in JSON format.
- Local dictionaries are kept in your web browser’s local storage, so they are available whenever you visit the page, without saving anything to disk.
- Remote dictionaries are stored on your server and can be requested via URL parameters. Modified dictionaries can be uploaded to the server using a password specific to each dictionary.
- CSS-configurable graphical user interface plus an extra command-line interface for more sophisticated maintenance tasks such as finding entries with missing translations or invalid cross-references.
- Integrated context-sensitive help.
- User interface available in English (US) and German. More languages can be added.
Click here to test Slovar.
|Browse a sample dictionary||Create your own dictionary|
You can download Slovar here to install it on your own computer or server. Slovar is a website and therefore runs on any operating system. All you need is a resonably modern web browser. If the test links worked for you, you’ve got one.
Slovar is free software under the GNU General Public License 3. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of this License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
|CHANGELOG||Slovar 1.0 Slovar_1.0.2.zip – 379 KB|
If you have feedback, bug reports or suggestions, write me an email.